All You Need To Know About Strawberry Legs
Have you noticed dark bumps, black or red dots on your leg that look like the skin of a strawberry? Then you might have comedones and commonly known as strawberry legs. Strawberry legs are hair follicles or ingrown hair that is trapped under the skin. Scroll till the end for causes, prevention, and effective home remedies of strawberry legs. Strawberry legs are not itchy or painful, but if a person is experiencing pain and itching, they should see a doctor. There’s nothing to fret about, as one can easily get rid of strawberry legs at home with home remedies. Thanks to these easy DIY remedies, you can now have smooth and spotless legs in a natural way.
What Are Strawberry Legs?
These are nothing but the presence of small black dots just beneath the upper layer of the skin, these spots resemble strawberry seeds. They are not painful or harmful in any way but can make you feel self-conscious.
What Causes Strawberry Legs
Below are some common causes of strawberry legs:
- Keratosis pilaris: This occurs when your skin produces excessive keratin, which blocks the hair follicles. This leads to bumps and patchy skin.
- Dry Skin: If your skin is not well moisturized, it becomes dry and rough. Dry skin tends to be more sensitive and is more likely to develop razor burn or irritation.
- Shaving: Shaving often leads to open comedones, exposing the dirt, oil, and dead skin cells to air. Shaving with an old razor can often cause strawberry legs, especially on dry/sensitive skin. Dry shaving or shaving with a dull razor can also cause folliculitis.
- Folliculitis: This occurs when the hair follicles are inflamed/infected. It might happen due to bacteria or fungi. Folliculitis results from ingrown hairs from shaving, waxing, rubbing the ski, or wearing tight clothes.
Prevention Of Strawberry Legs
- Exfoliate your legs twice a week.
- Moisturize your legs after showering.
- If your skin is dry and rough, make sure to moisturize at night before bed.
- Use non-comedogenic moisturizer.
- Use proper techniques to remove hair.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes.
- Soak your legs in warm water to soften hair follicles and open pores before shaving.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Strawberry Legs
Follow these steps to avoid strawberry legs after removing hair:
- Wash with the anti-bacterial soap
- Wax/shave/ or use an epilator
Wash With The Soap:
Wahs your legs with an anti-bacterial soap to remove dirt and bacteria from the skin Or you can wash with any soap that is according to your skin type. For the best result, wash with lukewarm water.
Exfoliating helps to open blocked/clogged pores. Exfoliating twice a week helps to remove dead skin cells from the surface of the skin, and prevent strawberry legs. It also eliminates the chances of ingrown hair. Exfoliating makes the skin smooth, soft and removes all the dirt, bacteria, and dead skin cells.
Exfoliate your skin with this scrub that is mentioned below twice a week or you can use this scrub all over your body
Make your own homemade scrub:
- Coffee powder (2 tablespoons)
- Rice powder (2 tablespoons)
- Coconut oil (2 tablespoons)
- Mix all the ingredients to make a scrub
- After washing the skin, gently apply the scrub all over the legs and start scrubbing.
- Scrub in a circular motion for 5-7 minutes gently.
- Wash your legs with luke-warm water for the best result.
Now start removing your hair after scrubbing.
Shaving– To avoid this, make sure to gently shave in the direction of hair growth. Do not stretch your skin tight while shaving. Avoid passing over the same area multiple times, because it will lead to skin irritation.
Waxing- If your skin is prone to the irritation it is advisable to call a professional for waxing.
Epilator– Position your epilator onto the surface of the skin at a 75˚ angle to remove hair. Slowly move it in the direction of hair growth. Clean your epilator after each use to reduce the risk of a skin infection.
Moisturize your skin with a good moisturizing cream or lotion. You can use shea/cocoa butter or coconut oil.
Massage your skin for 2-3 minutes.
Moisturize your skin daily at night and right after showering.
Get rid of brown spots on legs
Q. Are Strawberry legs permanent?
A. No, these are not permanent. One can easily get rid of it at home using natural ingredients.
Q. How does lemon get rid of Strawberry Legs?
A. Lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent, it works best to remove strawberry legs. Mix lemon juice with egg white and apply this mixture to your affected areas. Leave it on for 10-15minutes and wash it off.
Q. How long does it take to cure Strawberry legs?
A. It may take two to six weeks for the treatment to show results, whether you use home remedies or any professional treatments.
Q. How do you treat ingrown hairs on your legs?
A. Ingrown hair can be treated by exfoliating and moisturizing. Do not pluck or wax them since they might get more irritated.